Saturday 14 January 2012

Getting Through It

As I have mentioned we are now nearly 21 months into treatment and to say its a roller coaster ride is an understatement.  Nothing can prepare you for the hospital admissions when Billy has an infection or for the times they have to stop treatment due to a low blood count.  Being in hospital has to be one of the worst things, you know an admission means at least 3 nights in.  As I am a single mum I am the one who is there all the time, although out local hospital provides put up beds there is no way you can sleep on them!

The nurses and doctors are brilliant they know what a worrying time it it.  Billy has picked up serious infections that could have killed him.  Nothing can prepare you for that.  It is the worst feeling because there is really nothing you can do to help you are in the hands of others and you have to trust 100% that they know what they are doing.

When we are out of hospital and Billy is well we fill our time with lots of fun things.  Billy loves music too, thankfully my music taste has rubbed off on him and he loves rock and metal.  His favourite bands at the moment are Judas Priest, Motorhead and Alice Cooper.  I have used this to my advantage ad we have become regular festival goers.  Before he was diagnosed we used to go to one a year now its more like 4 a year!

We go to Download, Sonisphere and Camp Bestival every year and then add another on.  The rock festivals are the best, the people are so so friendly and really take an interest in Billy.  He normally gets to head bang on people's shoulders so he can see the stage!  He has seen some of the best bands in the world and I wonder if he wasn't diagnosed with Leukaemia would I have done so much? It was almost a wake up call that life is so precious and so short and you need to make the most of it.



But I now am grateful for every minute that we have and I am trying to make every minute count for us.  As well as the festivals, we love the cinema, eating out and travelling.  am a big cook so I make lots of lovely treats for us too and love having friends round to eat as we can't always go out if Billy is under the weather.  Although its hard to go abroad at the moment due to insurance and treatment we have managed it!  I am lucky that I have some very good friends and family around me who are there when i need to talk, sometimes that's all you need a person to listen who doesn't judge!  I think what i am trying to say s live every moment you have, make it amazing, make it exciting and make it worth remembering!!!

The picture is Billy at Download 2011

2 comments:

  1. Being in hospital must be difficult - but great that you can stay with him - it must be a worrying time for you as you say infections etc - but he is a fighter and so are you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sheila, i'm getting more and more used to it now! xx

    ReplyDelete